Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Escape from the Bronx vs Doomsday

When I first saw Neil Marshall's über-violent Doomsday there was one scene I reacted to directly, when one of the locals bashes a bat into the face of a masked soldier. This reminds me a lot about a scene in Enzo G. Castellari's masterpiece Escape from the Bronx, when Romano Puppo beats the shit out of some. I don't think it's a coincidence, but a deliberate tribute to Castellari's movie.



What do you think? I haven't listen to any commentary with Marshall, so I have no idea what he says about this detail. But I hope I'm correct :)

UPDATE!
I got a tweet from the awesome Axelle Carolyn (Doomsday, Centurion and other movies) with this message: "Neil hasn't seen ESCAPE FROM THE BRONX (unless it's got a different name in the UK?) but the coincidence is pretty funny!" - so there's the answer, and I was wrong. But maybe he saw it when he was very young and that detail stayed with him subconsciously ;)